If you’ve decided to go back to school as a stay at home mom, I have some awesome tips for putting together a daily schedule for moms in school with kids at home!
Why I Am Sharing my Daily Schedule as a SAHM in School
I get asked all the time, “How do you balance it all?” I wrote a post explaining how I don’t balance it all. I do, however, I do have certain things to do as a stay at home mom I follow daily so why not share my daily schedule for moms in school?! If you follow me over on Instagram, you know that I have been a stay at home mom since April of 2016, except for 8 months when I decided to go back to work. I went back to work at a local childcare center as an Assistant Director and brought Alyssa to work with me. In December of 2017, after many ear infections, Alyssa got the Flu. It was kind of our last straw, we were at the doctor’s office more than I was at work.
Within the same month, we received notice that I had been accepted to Grad School to pursue my master’s in Exceptional Student Education. We decided I would stay home with Alyssa. At the end of January 2018, we found out we were expecting baby #2, our little Aaliyah. Most importantly, Since becoming a full-time stay at home mom with two girls and Grad School + and growing my social media and my blog, I have had to come up with a daily schedule for moms in school that works best for me and I think it will help you too!
I came up with 10 things to do as a stay at home mom and told myself I would get into the habit of completing the tasks as often as possible. It’s worked pretty well for myself, so here is my daily schedule for moms in school!
Daily Schedule for Moms in School with Toddlers Tips and Ideas
Morning Routine for Stay at Home Moms in School
- Get Ready: One of my things to do as a stay at home is to get ready. You guys ask me how I have the energy to get ready every day. To be honest? I don’t have the energy. However, it’s one of the things that keep me going. I can tell the difference in my productivity when I am fully dressed and dolled up than when I am in the pajamas I slept in all day. If you don’t get dressed and done up, you should try it. If you enjoy it, give yourself that extra time daily and add it to your things to do as a stay at home mom
- Make the bed: I’m not sure why but there is something about a made bed that starts your day off better automatically. At least, for me, it’s an automatic refresher. I love making the bed so that when I go to bed at the end of the day it feels like I left the house and I’m coming home to something new lol. It also makes a messy room feel picked up right?
- Plan the Day: While the girls watch the circle time on youtube every morning, I sit on our kitchen table and plan my day. I write everything that needs to be done or I want to get done for the day. I separate them into different groups based on every role in my life – school, work, home, motherhood, and wifehood. This allows me to see what the day might look like and lets me figure out how much time I have to give every task, without getting overwhelmed.
- Set Goals for the day: Set a certain amount of tasks as goals for the day, they can be from different roles in your life. For me, those tasks are two for my business, two for home, and two for school. These tasks should be the highest tasks you need to complete for the day. I make sure if anything gets done these six are my priority this allows me to focus on exactly I want to plan the day
Afternoon and Evening Routine for Stay at Home Moms in School
- Be intentional with the time you have: You should be intentional with the time you have. Focus on your tasks and worry less about what the future day holds. I usually will set a time for 30 minutes – 1 hour (depending on the task) and make sure that I get it all done within the set timer.
- Talk to someone that doesn’t live within the house: Being a stay at home can be a little redundant. Our daily schedule is planned and scheduled and although I love every second of the moment I am home with the girls, I love adult conversation. My mom and I have daily conversations, and I have a group of friends that I talk to throughout the day. This keeps me sane on days that are a little stir crazy. It gives me a change of conversation and scenery without actually leaving my home.
- Tidy up the living area: On your to-do list you should have a task where you tidy up your home or the area you find yourself in, the most. When the area around me is clear I think clearer. I am able to actually get things down when the space around me is clean. It’s definitely hard when you have kids whose full-time job is to make a mess LOL. I know, trust me. However, even its the dining room table your sitting in, clearing it up might make the day easier for you.
- Take a shower: It’s a lucky day when you can get a shower in peace LOL. On my to-do list, there is “take a bath Kimberly, you deserve it.” I think of it as an afternoon pick me up while the girls are taking a nap, or when Anthony comes home from work before we have dinner.
- Plan dinner ahead of time: Who the heck wants to worry about dinner every day? not I. I actually hate cooking, even though I know how to do it. You can find me preferring to order dinner at any point of the week over cooking dinner. However, when I plan what our meals are going to look like It allows me to actually cook dinner and get excited for it.
- 30 minutes of self-care: This doesn’t have to be extravagant. Self-care includes doing my press-on at some point in the day or watching my favorite show early in the morning. You should do anything that makes you feel good for 30 minutes of the day for yourself. You can workout, drink tea in silence, read a book, write in your journal, anything that will keep your mind off of the day, and everything going on.
I hope that my daily schedule for moms in school helps you on your journey!
This is a little insight into what my day looks like on a daily basis. However, remember that every day has its trials and tribulations and not every day goes as planned. Some days are a mess while others are on the nearly perfect side. Take it easy and give yourself grace. I hope you enjoyed this blog post, check out the other blog post below you may be interested in! Always feel free to comment or send me a DM on Instagram about anything you may have questions about. I love talking to you and always reply!